Sunday, December 24, 2006

Tidbits for Christmas

This is going up one day later than I'd planned for it to be published, but I'm too lazy to go correct the time errors like "today" or "yesterday." Deal with it, huh? ;)

There's so many loose little stories cranking through my head these days that it was time to dust off the Tidbits album and jot an entry. Without further adieu, enjoy my fodder...

Something happened today that would be difficult to relate to you if we were sitting across from one another (unless it was 2am and the setting was a local bar after a whole lot of alcoholic lube)! I now know with certainty that I do indeed have a guardian angel! You know how we all laugh at people who traipse through a restaurant with a piece of toilet paper trailing on their foot? I had the opportunity to compound that tenfold today, but as I said, my guardian angel had my back.

I ran out to do some last minute grocery shopping for the salad fest I'm bringing to the table tomorrow. Upon my arrival back at my house, I dropped the bags of produce on my counter. I looked down at the floor and saw the kitty bowls still sitting on the floor where I'd left them. I thought, "I need to pick those up." Then I went to bathroom since the coffee I'd overindulged in earlier was threatening to blow up my bladder.

Now this is where it gets interesting. Back in the kitchen, I sorted the canned cat food I bought and put it away. I placed the various vegetables I'd purchased in the crisper. When I turned around and looked at the pet bowls still on the floor, I saw the addition of a pair of pink panties. How did those get to be laying among the leftovers from kitty brunch? After a brief denial phase, I thought hard about the jeans I was wearing. Yes, I wore those underwear the day I last wore the jeans that were on now. Oh! My! God!

Of course I wondered if they had been hanging out of the back of the jeans while I was out. That wouldn't matter since my coat never came off. Were they perhaps hanging out of a leg of the jeans? I can see it now...other shoppers whispering to one another to look at the girl with the Fuschia pink bikinis hanging out from the cuff of her pant leg, dangling on her black shoes. Oh my. While I was slightly worried about anyone having actually seen the sloppy decor of my hurried dressing, I was more relieved that they hadn't actually fallen out of wherever they came from while I was actually under the fluorescent lights of the grocery.

Onward and upward. Thank Gawd for small favors. :p

I'd like to take a moment to say thank you to a person who gave me a great big hug of love today. When someone thanks you for infusing them with the Christmas spirit by your example and your love, that's cool. I don't feel especially inspiring, but if my acceptance and sharing my Christmas traditions have made you happy, then I am joyous. You are lovely, CS and I love you forever. Merry! Merry!

Speaking of traditions.... molasses cookies! Holy cow, I've had more requests and kudos for my molasses cookies this year than ever! I started making them about 4 years ago, and they are catching on as my signature Christmas cookie. If you love molasses cookies, jot this recipe down and make a double batch! I take no credit for the greatness of the cookies, as they are hard as hell to screw up, but it's a recipe worth sharing. The recipe comes from a memorial cookbook for a young woman who was killed in a car accident. I knew her from my hometown. My mother gave me the cookbook with a wonderful inscription that reminds me of "how very much you are loved."

The secret for making these extra yummy is to add a little extra of the spices to really jazz 'em up!!

Spicy Molasses Cookies

1 1/2 c melted shortening
2 c sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c molasses (Brier Rabbit is better than Grandma's)!!
4 c sifted flour
4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
sugar

Combine melted shortening with 2 cups of sugar. Beat until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually stir in molasses. Stir together remaining dry ingredients, and add to the molasses mixture. Mix well. Chill dough in the refrigerator 8 hours or overnight. Shape dough into balls the size of a walnut. Roll each in sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 8-10 minutes, or until done. Let cool slightly on baking sheets. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks. Makes about 8 dozen.

One word: YUMMY!! :) Go make 'em! They are good anytime of the year, but I never seem to actually make them any other time than Christmas.

The last week at work was party-laden, for sure! Whew. We had a construction company who always books their party with us. They run an open bar for their employees and there is a block of rooms rented to keep those who shouldn't drive, safely tucked away for the night. They eat well too. But this year, the guy came in with a chip on his shoulder which is totally ridiculous, given that he has a habit of being a slow payer. In fact, when August rolled around and they hadn't paid for last year's party, a lawsuit was threatened to make them pay up. And the guy has the nerve to march in and get haughty about anything this year? Oh boy. It started with his dissatisfaction with his reservation time. It's funny that several of our managers heard the owner give the man an 8:30 reservation since it was our busiest party night of the Christmas season, but the man threw a fit at the hostess station and insisted that the reservation was for 7:30. Ummmm, no!

We rushed a very friendly, great (and I mean GREAT!) tipping group out of what we call 'the wing' to accomodate the asshole and his employees, and enlisted every free hand to clear and reset the tables to expedite the seating time. They were bitchy from the moment they sat down. Lori and I did what we could to appease the beast, but it was a futile battle since they had already decided that they would be as antagonistic as possible for the duration of their festivities. Yeah, there's the Christmas spirit I was looking to find. My cohort in service didn't grasp the urgency of getting the dinner order and followed protocol of gleaning a drink order first. As a result, I took 16 of the 22 people. I just wanted to feed them and get them out. Ugh.

They "one-drinked" us to death, sending us back to the bar as soon as we'd returned to deliver the previous beverage. They complained that it was too hot. Then they complained that it was too cold. They gave us dirty looks because we weren't fast enough, or ass-kissing enough, or disheveled enough by their attempts to piss us off. They were the quintessential asshole diners that every server wants to kick in the ass. And I kept wondering what kind of person has the balls to treat an entire restaurant's staff like they are worthless---when you don't even pay your bill!! The really funny part is that my restaurant still lets him bill out the night's charges. Is that considered enabling?

While I only walked out the door with $30.00 in my pocket that night, I was ecstatic by the huge tip that nice party added on to the mail out bill. Then I was relieved that management had the class to add a tip to the bill that went out to the obnoxious construction crew, and pay it out before they got paid. That's alright, you know?

Life is good. It's holiday time, which means that I can sit around and be lazy on not feel guilty. May we all kick back and enjoy some family time! Merry Christmas to all!

3 comments:

briliantdonkey said...

Okay those DO sound yummy! Only one problem, I have been to like 43 stores looking for the very first ingredient you listed:

If vml indif? what is that?

NOONE seems to have it! Your cookies must be catching on!

Maybe I am pronouncing it wrong cause allllll the stores can't really be out of it can they?

do you say it "if vimmel?" or is it if!(enter pause) VEEEE-mel?

I have tried both and the clerks just look at me like I have a screw loose or something.....sighhh.....tis so hard to find good help these days.

BD

Suz said...

What are you talking about?? :p

Okay, so I fixed the one and only html tag that you found (and I somehow did not) which had attached itself to my c & p recipe.

Besides, vml indif is what we refer to as an inert ingredient in baking. Go ahead and make 'em without it since no one carries it in your area! :D

briliantdonkey said...

sorry was being a smartarse, its what I do.....Was reaching for a joke,,,,,again it's what I do.....I know it wasn't an ingredient.

BD