Monday, January 08, 2007

Resolutions

I always make the same New Year's Resolution. It's a no-brainer and simple to keep. Repeat it with me folks: "I resolve this year not to make any New Year's Resolutions."

Voila! Done deal.

You know why I cop the 'just say no' attitude? It's because I can't keep any of those grand life changes I used to resolve to follow from the moment I woke up to the Rose Parade on New Year's Day. But more than that, it was sort of pointed out on a forum I frequent why we shouldn't even attempt those empty promises. I didn't actually have it ballooned so succinctly as this gal did, but I wholeheartedly agree. There is a short answer to why we shouldn't lie to ourselves on New Year's. (But you know you'll never get a short answer from me, right)?

In a nutshell: If something is important enough to change about our lives, we should do it when we notice it's important enough to change. Shouldn't we? Yes, we should. Why do we wait until we are struggling with writing checks properly to make these significant changes? We wait until it's cold and blustery outside, with the forecast of the same for the next three months to make this almighty effort to improve ourselves. I suppose we need something to focus on while we struggle through the short days, long nights, bone-chilling cold. I mean, we could drink beer or eat ice cream and watch fluffy movies, but we need something to feel good about during this closed in time. It's a new year so it makes sense that we want a new us.

I like improving myself as much as the next guy, but I don't buy into following a rule about when to do it. Instead, I make longterm goals of things I hope to accomplish in the ensuing year. Maybe that's the softer (weaker?) resolution. Maybe it's just a loser attitude for people like me who don't want to exert the energy to actually quit smoking, or start running, or eat more salad. I don't care though because this method works for me.

Maybe the secret to a good New Year's resolution is making the same one every year until you conquer it. I don't know though, I like to kind of sidle up to the idea and mull it before I commit to the change. And I haaaate failing! I admit, I'm stubborn and I hate change, even if it is for the better. I'm the old dog who doesn't want to learn new tricks. I'm comfortable in my own ways and habits. My guy makes the same resolution every year. He quits smoking. It appears he's on a successful track this year so maybe there is something to this New Year's business.

I guess for me, the lofty kind of fuzzy goal-setting works best. This year's list is pretty short, really. I want to write more and find a way to feel more solid about taking care of myself. Mostly, that means I want to be comfortable knowing I have enough money to pay my bills with a job that offers (or pays enough money to purchase) benefits like health insurance. I need to get centered on these things, but I don't need a calendar to tell me to get my butt in gear.

Whatever works, eh? I guess the differences in people is what makes life interesting. I'd love to hear what my three readers resolved for this year! Whatcha got, people? ;)

4 comments:

briliantdonkey said...

I never make them either. Does that mean there are not things I would like to change? Of course not. I hope to write more, and worry less about this thing called 'life' or whats wrong with me, but that is fairly vague.

Anonymous said...

I resolve to help my wife handle having kid number two while raising a one year old at the same time. :)

I resolve to calmly make it to October 1st.

I resolve to never put my family thru the duress that I put them thru last year.

And lastly. I resolve to finally finish my house !!!

Suz said...

Alright! See? You guys are the year-long aspiration types too.

I gotta say though, BD seems to follow that vague guideline better than you, Tony. ;)

Trish said...

I know what I have to change, but I'm waiting for Lent.