Friday, August 22, 2008

Eve Takes a Bite

So I get up this morning and feed the kittehs, make my coffee, and head to the living room to fire up the computer and stereo. I never close my windows or my shades at night because the cool air makes it nice in here. Can you imagine my surprise when I get over to my double windows and see somebody in my yard?

We have an apple tree that ripens early. Last year I kind of missed the peak of apple season because they were almost done when I arrived. Mind you, this is my apple tree. I specifically asked the landlord when I came to look at the place if the apple tree was "ours" or the neighbor's. It's really the mark of where "our" property ends and theirs begins. I went out there earlier in the week and grabbed a whole bunch of them. They attract those earwigs, who burrow into them, making them unfit to eat so I wanted to get them before they infested the crop. I froze about four bags of apples for pies or crisps later in the fall.

There's still more on the tree. They drop almost daily. My neighbor downstairs who shares "our" tree may want some so I am being considerate not to take them all. And I've offered some to my neighbor on the other side of me if she wants some for herself or family. They are great to eat as is. And I really am determined not to let the earwigs have them this year like they did last year.

When I saw the sweet old lady who lives on that side of the yard coming from the garage side of my property, I had to do a double take before I hit the stereo "on" button. "What is she doing in my yard??" I watched from my upstairs perch with her oblivious to my keen eye. She proceeded to pick up apples that had fallen overnight, and take her booty back to her house. She had a small brown square thing in one hand too, which I could not identify, but whatever it was, she got from near my garage. Maybe it was a bird's nest? I don't know, but this is pretty brash behavior for a woman I've never even seen.

I don't really mind sharing "our" apples, and I'll give her the fact that her husband has to mow under some of the tree branches from their side of the lawn. But, wouldn't you pop over and say, "Hey, I'm gonna take a few apples for a pie. Is that cool?" She wasn't even taking them from her side of the lawn; she was squarely in my yard! I used to like these people. They are quite elderly, but still together, apparently healthy (healthy enough to take a morning walk in their neighbor's yard to steal apples!), and continue to take care of their sizable home independently.

She disappeared under the considerable branches of the tree and the hedges in her own yard, so I wasn't able to confirm that it was the woman next door. Was a morning walker so tempted by the apple that she had to have a bite? This is Eve all over again. What kind of curses will we be forced to endure by this forbidden fruit thief? Whoever it was may have started a whole new set of sins, that I, at the very least, will have to deal with.

Damn the luck!

6 comments:

shakenbsis said...

You crack me up, Suz!

I used to have two apple trees that were intertwined and looked like one tree. In the spring is was obvious as the blossoms were different colors. And when fruitbearing as well, one was a crabapple adn the other something akin to Golden delicious.

The crabapple made the BEST jam in the world, and my neighbor (old man) across the street snuck over regularly to steal my apples!

What is it with the lure of fruit...

Jenny said...

How rude!!!!

Kathy said...

Hee Heee - your sweet little old neigbor lady? She couldn't remember if she was turning 92 or 93 this year, so maybe she couldn't remember if it was your tree or hers?

I'm still chuckling!

Osh said...

I did not know you could freeze apples.

Robbi said...

Next time you see her..
Ask if she would make you an Apple Pie with those Apples!! LOL!!
Wow!!! The nerve!!!

dj said...

That's crazy--how can someone just take stuff from somebody's yard?? Hello!!

oh well I love apple pie or apple crips--anything with apples really. yummers!