Thursday, August 28, 2008

On The Record

I am sitting at my computer with this really cool "vinyl to cd" record player that you hook up to your computer. It's DN's. She bought it to convert her own vinyl, but kept others in mind when purchasing it. It will surely make the rounds of her family and friends. But for now, it's mine to play with, learn about, work the bugs out of....

I'm enjoying this blast into the past. I finally set this thing up after hearing "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes (no, they are not violent, nor are they femmes) on Charlie FM, not once, but twice in the last week. . I specifically got determined to learn this machine after remembering how much I love, love, love this album. I'm listening to it now, and ohhhhh, the college days memories this is bringing back. I used to have a cassette walkman blasting while I traipsed the campus. This music was often the beat to which I climbed the hill at UW-Eau Claire.

I so love this album. It is spectacular. It is extraordinary. It reminds me of Erik, who introduced me to this off the wall, beautiful music. I saw them live on my campus (for cheap!) in their hey day. I would not have thought then, nor now, that this music would be something I love so much, but it truly is! Here is a sample song, which is not, by the way, safe at work--or for children.

4 comments:

M said...

Femmies, baby! I'll never forget seeing them at Lefty's in Green Bay
right when (or just before?) that record was released. Packed house, crowd going nuts, amazing performance. Brilliant night. And the story about how they got their big break-- spotted by Chrissie Hynde on a sidewalk near Milwaukee's Oriental Theater, as she was arriving for her Pretenders gig-- is one of my favorite rock'n'roll tales ever.

Enjoy your rediscovery! I love when that happens!

-Mary

Jenny said...

I miss records!

shakenbsis said...

That is sooo cool Suz!
Fun to take that trip down memory lane. Somehow (I can't remembre how) I got rid of my turntable! I can't believe I did tht, I do still have LP's and love to listen to them...

getting old I guess, and forgetful...

dj said...

There was something special about records. It was like having a piece of the music. Its just not the same with cd's. I could kick myself for selling my entire record collection and turntable!