Thursday, September 04, 2008

Spiderpalooza

It's well-documented that I am deathly afraid of creepy crawly things. I have no less than four sprays in my house to combat these abominations of nature. This is not a creepy crawly story though. It is a pretty funny foray into my last few days.

Last week, I killed a spider in the bathroom. Several days ago, I killed two spiders in the kitchen--one in the morning (the mommy), and one in the evening (the daddy). Little itty bitty babies began appearing in the areas where I killed these parent spiders. Huh. Fortunately, I'm not afraid of the teeny ones that you can squish with your finger.

So the squishing commenced. They wispily crawled across my stove and I mushed them instantly. In the bathroom, they littered the angled ceiling. When they were within reach, I crushed them. The other night, I noticed one coming down a tiny strand of webbing he created, so I got him too. Squish-Squash-Mush-Crush. Gone, gone, gone.

Thank goodness, once again, that these babies are not scary. Coming from the bathroom to resume my reading on the internet, I sat in my desk chair and got comfortable. A minute later, I notice something out of the corner of my eye. A teeny spider baby is rappelling his way down my hair and onto my keyboard. Ew. I squish him. When will it end? How many frigging babies do spiders have? I would look it up, but I can't see scary eight-legged pictures coming up in lightning fast speed on my screen. I'll just keep squashing them as fast as they keep appearing, I guess.

This festival of babies and mamas and papas comes in on the heels of a very traumatizing day last week when I had to call my neighbor (who is as afraid of them as I am) over to kill a centipede that was on the wall above my bed. The possibility of losing that monster in my BEDROOM was more than I could handle. She is my hero now. And I am scanning every wall, floor, and ceiling in every room before my foot takes the next step forward more than ever. Fall is here. They want in. I'm afraid the spiderpalooza has just begun. I better keep those sprays handy.

8 comments:

Rod said...

I once had a freak out and I'm not afraid of bugs.

LONG ago in a new apartment (before DJ) we were having a Japanese Cockroach problem. We sprayed and sprayed and they would not go away.

Then once I got on a chair and opened the door above frig that no one EVER looked it.

IT WAS THE MOTHER SHIP!!!!!

I bet there were 400 of them. I screamed like a little girl. I swear I emptied and entire can of toxic killer in that 2 foot space.

dj said...

Ughh!! Spiders are the WORST!! At least the babies aren't so bad, but yuk!


There was a baby spider in the bathroom the other day and I was watching him spin his web. After that,I didn't have the heart to squish him so I captured him and put him outside. I don't know what I would do with so many--I would probably be smooshing them all over the place too!!

Hey maybe your kitties can develop a taste for "free range baby spiders."

Jenny said...

LOL Rod!

While I was sick in bed downstairs, Josh had gone upstairs for something and right when he got to the top of the stairs and turned to go into the hall he walked into a big spiderweb. He quickly wiped it away and looked around. There was a big spider the size of a golf ball on the door frame.

I'm glad he saw it before I did. I would have freaked and fallen down the stairs or something!

M said...

Aaack! Spiders in hair! Spiders in hair! First urban legend I ever heard-- started me down the path of addiction to Daily Hair Washing! (Which is why I never get anywhere on time. I blame the spiders.)

My least-favorite home invaders (entomologically speaking) are those ick earwigs. I've never seen a cockroach outside of a restaurant, but maybe with global warming, hey, there's that to look forward to!

-Mary

Movie Star Wife said...

You've given me the heebie-jeebies. Blech! I hate spiders. I blame my fear on my childhood. When I was a kid we had a barn and there were some monstrous spiders in there. We called them "barn spiders" and they would drop down upon you. I've got chills just thinking about it.

shakenbsis said...

Get out of my head, woman!!!!!

I've been fighting the spiders for a couple of months now! Ewww!!!

Now it's gonna be a while before I can go to sleep, thanks...

Mary! Luckily I have not yet seen an earwig or a centipede in my house, or I might have to MOVE!!!

Rod, I'm giggling at the thought of your freakout, I'd have passed out probably. ;)

I remember the day learned that cockroaches (Japanese ones anyhow) can fly! I had jsut moved into my first apartment in Japan and collaped on my futon. I was sooo tired... I looked up and on the paper sliding door to the closet was a big fat cockroach! I was sooo tired that I thought to myself, 'at least they don't fly' and contemplated what to do for about a second at which point in time the thing flew off the door right at me! I jumped up and ran screaming outside till I collected mself enought o go back in and find it. When I did, I vacuumed it up and then ran down the stairs and threw the vacuum in the dumpster! What a dork!!! (I can still feel the adrenaline just thinking about it though!)

Kathy said...

OMG!!! I think I have to go outside so I can get away from the bugs.

Last night a centipede crawled out of the vent in the floor and made a mad dash to my slippers. I'm sitting on the couch helpless, because the thing was by my slippers and I can't walk without shoes on for fear of coming across a bug.

Rod I think I would have moved after finding the mother load. Talk about Heebie Jeebies.

Suz, Rick was home last night to kill the centipede but he couldn't find it. He is no help!

Suz said...

Everyone has a spiderpalooza story! :D I didn't even mention the HUGE spiders I've been finding in the garage. ACK!

Sorry about the heebie-jeebies everyone. I would pay money to see grinder standing on a chair screaming like a girl, though! LOL

Kathy-I bet you didn't sleep well. And you better call that exterminator because I think that 10 day kill time is over.

The one true thing about bugs is the bigger they are, the more heebie-jeebies they give.

Bleh.