Friday, September 12, 2008

Grammar Lesson for Friday, September 12

I know. I know. It's mostly me. And it's mostly because I have always been a complete nerd about grammar, and spelling, and all things neat and organized. I'm a detail person, and yes, it is a curse. And no, I don't want you to pick apart all those commas and try to decide if that last sentence was a run-on, or if this one is, for that matter.

Okay. All kidding aside, I was aghast at a sign I read at a corporate chain restaurant in its drive-thru. ITS drive-thru. Do you see the proper form there? Apparently, Culver's does not have this information within its corporate offices. (Yes, I used the correct form AGAIN). I wish I'd had my camera. Their drive-thru has a sign that tells you that their food is: "worth it's wait for the freshness."

Herein lies the lesson. It's equals "it is." The apostrophe tells us that it is two words. It's two words. It is.

Its equals possession. "Worth its wait." Who owns the wait? The food and its freshness. The food is fresh. Thus we wait. It's worth its wait because it's (it is) fresh. Get it? The way the sign reads now means: Worth it is wait for the freshness. Does that make any sense? No. No, it does not.

I know I should get a life, but that hasn't been working out for me. It's my lot in life to be its own worst enemy.

Join me next time when we discuss the difference between then and than.

8 comments:

Kathy said...

OMG it's a person with a very funny take on life! So, you DO have a life, and one of your roles in that life is to make me laugh. Out loud laughing! It's easy for you.

Rod said...

So whats the problem??

Rod said...

So Lazy Man's Porter should really be Lazy Mans Porter you are saying?

hmmmm - I feel embraced!

NAAA - I don't!

Rod said...

Wait a minute. I was looking at Levi's (which should be Levis) and I see a tag that says, Men's pants.

Does that mean Men is Pants? Men has Pants? Men ARE pants? What if I don't want to be Pants.

Levi is Men is Pants?

See - now I'm all confused.

I'm glad I do not have your problem and can be happy with my wordy things that end with dots.

But seriously - I could never understand why people get so upset about punctuation - the goal is to communicate right?

OK - look at it this way. You are Brett Farve and you get things done - HOWEVER - you do it in a horrible fashion throwing off the wrong leg.

You are like Thompson and punctuation is like Farve.

Punctuation and Farve same thing.

Left Hand Louie said...

Rod, that was one of the funniest things I've read in a while!

Osh said...

lol

M said...

So Rod, you'd be cool having all written communication soon resemble text-speak? OMG TEOTWAWK

Granted, grammar and spelling are difficult for some folks who have brains and at least tried to pay attention in school. But there's a difference between casual communication, such as blogging-- and formal and business communication.

All languages evolve to serve the needs of their users-- but there's evolution, and there's de-evolution. I'm with Suz on this one. If people stop trying to get it right, then eventually there will be no effective communication because no one will know WTF what anyone else means. Fer criyey.

-Mary

M said...

I didn't type the "I" at the end of TEOTWAWKI

I am so verbally busted