Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Did She Really Just Say That?

I ran to the Dollar Store for paper towels today. While I waited five minutes for the new cashier to check out the five items the lady ahead of me had, I was entertained by the lady's unruly children who were sticking their hands up the bubble gum machine, whining about wanting a quarter, and unsticking push pins holding up ads on the cork board. Oh, the joy.

When the slow woman attending the cash register finally started ringing up my three items, I was a little worn by the previous few minutes of waiting and watching such lame behavior. When the rocket scientist announced my total, "$9.76" I handed her my twenty dollar bill, and said, "Oh, just wait, I have a penny."

TO WHICH SHE REPLIED, "Oh, I already rang it up. I don't know how to go backwards on this."

What? It was all I could do to ask her if she knew how to add a penny to twenty-four cents to give me back a quarter with my ten dollar bill in change. She actually paused the transaction to ask me if that was okay. What? If it's not okay she's going to call a manager over to start the transaction over again?!?

Man! I expect this kind of blundering with cash from high school kids who have had computers, calculators, and adding machines do all of their arithmetic, but not from a woman my own age! I get that she is new. I get that she was nervous. I don't get how your brain freezes up so much that you can't realize that a penny added to twenty-four cents would give a customer back a quarter. And I don't believe that giving a customer change other than what is rung up is against the rules. It's a small town dollar store, for crying out loud. Plus, I've had other cashiers there give me quarters when I handed them a penny belatedly in the transaction.

I'm disappointed.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

What a moron :P

shakenbsis said...

Ditto!
Oh, and yea, I'm stalking Jenny again...

Jenny said...

Hehe! Betty loves me :)

shakenbsis said...

she does, she really does!

Anonymous said...

I've worked in stores and I know that at times when you are new it's easy to get flustered. So I can understand where she was confused. If you also sense the customer is annoyed or something it just makes the situation worse. Plus I'm horrible in math and would get confused when customers would do this to me. :)

~Minxie~ said...

LOL... even my 12 yr. old DD knows how to make change. I can understand being nervous and not understand the cash register, but counting out money is fundamental.... or so I thought. ;)

Jenny said...

We're gonna miss you and Betty at the fireworks tomorrow :(

Osh said...

omg, I'm so retarded. I couldn't figure this out.

I hate math.

shakenbsis said...

I'm gonna miss you guys too!!! ;(

dj said...

Yeah I am laughing because I would probably do the same thing..even though I KNOW how to count..I could totally see my brain freezing up! ;) LOL

By the way I read somewhere they might get rid of the penny someday. That would be weird!

We will MISS YOUUU!!!