Monday, July 07, 2008

They're Doing it Again

I have this knack for choosing products that don't stick around. I wish I had kept a list of the wonderfully fragranced items I've fallen in love with, only to have the manufacturer of said product discontinue it. Let's see, there was a great bubble bath that I loved to soak in that was probably the first time I was disappointed. There was a mascara, and several shampoo/conditioner combos that vanished. I just went on a buying frenzy for my favorite bubble bath (a new favorite one since the first favorite one is long gone!) that is being changed. Lavender chamomile is not lavender! Why are they changing it?? I have enough to take me through the winter bathing season. :)

And now the recent discovery of yet another discontinued product! Arrggghhh! Avon made a fragrance for a brief time called "Clean Cotton." I searched in vain for any bottle of this nectar. Regional representatives, local dealers, clearance catalogs, online website....to no avail. Other dealers would jump to be my hero and make calls because they were "in the loop" and sure they could find me some Clean Cotton. Never happened, folks. My rescue came in the form of a birthday gift from my mom. Yippee! "Cotton Blossoms" from Bath and Body Works was a nice replacement.

And now.

Now they quit making it. They've CHANGED it. Now it's "Sea Island Cotton" which is not the same as the original Cotton Blossoms that I cherished. The new stuff isn't awful. It's just not "my" stuff. Here's the description of the original:

# Fragrance Top Notes: Sun Dried Linen Accord, Grass, Mandarin Blossom
# Fragrance Mid Notes: Jeans Accord, Peony, Cotton
# Fragrance Base Notes: Musk, Baby Powder

Here's the new stuff:

# Fragrance Top Notes: Fresh Bright Floral Accord, Clean Cotton Accord, Drenched Air Accord, Fresh Linen Effect, Wet Green Pear, Blood Orange, Tangerine
# Fragrance Mid Notes: White Muguet, Crisp Orange Flower, Watery Cyclamen, White Freesia, Cotton Blossom Headspace, Dewy Jasmine
# Fragrance Base Notes: Clean Powder, White Musk, Sandalwood, Vanilla Absolute

You see? They added a bunch of crap to change how it smells. It's no longer the simple fragrance I loved to wear in the summer. Pssshhh. Sure, they have a few closeout items, but now I'm back to the drawing board on my long-term wear.

I guess companies could hire me to love their competitor's products to ensure that they won't be long-lasting competitors. But frankly, I'm tired of replacing my favorite blush, mascara, shampoo, fragrance, even candles. I have a real knack for this kind of thing. Sheesh. I wish I was better at something other than choosing loser products.

17 comments:

shakenbsis said...

My favorite handsoap was Bath and Body's "Kitchen Spice"

DISCONTINUED! I'm still grieving the loss years later! Can't bring myself to toss the empty container.

Certain scents are very powerful.
I feel you, grrr...

Osh said...

well crap, I loved Cotton Blossom.

My favorite B&BW was Pure Sunshine...just around for a summer or two...it was just that...so clean and pure and just smelled like pure sunshine.

B&BW has the only outlet store in Oshkosh, shall I check to see what CB products they have?

Suz said...

Hey! So it's not just me!! :D

Yes, Oshy. Please check, but if you love it too, will you be able to purchase for moi?

I really want the glass bottle perfume and the body spray (plastic). Also some lotion. Can you let me know ounces and prices on what you find? If it's a good deal, grab it, but if they are capitalizing on us loving it and them discontinuing it, then I'm not paying that price.

:p

Thank you!

Jenny said...

SUZ! was it your birthday and you didn't tell us????

M said...

Oh hon, it's so not you. I have to believe it's a diabolical plot to get us to buy more crap, searching for satisfaction. A content consumer is a stocked-up sated one.

I just spent a month trying to find a facial sunscreen that doesn't go on all shiny (marketed as "radiance") and greazy. I used to have two brands for that, but now each product has been discontinued. I now have a shiny ("radiant") greazy face... and I'm still looking. Ulta and Sephora love me.

I should have known life would be this way when they stopped selling the wonderful scent that was Raintree Lotion. Anyone remember that?

-Mary

Suz said...

No, no, Jenny. This was a few years ago...now they aren't making it anymore. :(

(And I hate revealing my birthday, so don't ask)!

shakenbsis said...

if you had a birthday and didn't tell... Your name is MUD!!!

If you decide not to tell... hmmm... we could jsut have a surprise party for you once a week or so till you fess up????

I remember Raintree! VERY FONDLY!
(because of the scent and because of the band called Raintree of which I was a groupie!)

Osh said...

I can check tomorrow! I am forced to leave the house for an allergist's appointment and whatever they have I will scoop it up for you!

M said...

Oh, suz, if you don't want to tear out more hair and add a little crazy to your day,

do not read this.

http://tinyurl.com/5bfesp

-M.

Osh said...

OMFG Brett, I loved you, now just go away and let me find a new man!

dj said...

Was Raintree perfume in a little tube with a sponge tip??? Man that sounds familiar, but I can't place it.

Its all about the scent for me also. I don't care how good a cream or lotion or shampoo is--if it doesn't smell awesome to me, forget it!

M said...

dj-- Raintree was a grocery-store/drugstore lotion, made by Noxell before they were a P&G division. Incredible scent that I will never forget-- fresh and clean, not overpowering at all.

I unscrew stuff in stores. I have to smell it first. Some hair products in particular are way too intense.

-Mary

M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M said...

suz: my private gurlz-only email is caravelle9@hotmail.com

(the rest of youse can have that one too)

-M.

shakenbsis said...

Hey Chick-a-dee!
What are ya doing up so late?? Oh, I guess the ? should be what am I doing up so late!!! I'm going to bed, that's what!!!

Osh said...

Suz, I will check today for the Cotton Blossom...I didn't get a chance yesterday, sorry!

Osh said...

Suz, I picked up 3 bars of glycerian soap
2 lotions
2 shower gels
2 body splashes

that is all they have in stock

for a grand total of....$20.94