Friday, July 04, 2008

My Two Cents

The rumor mill is churning. Brett Favre has the itch to come back and play football. No, he doesn't. Yes, he does. No, he doesn't. Scott Favre says his brother's return is a 50-50 prospect. Brett Favre texts a Mississippi newspaper to say it's all rumor. Why has he apparently been throwing a football and working out at a high school near Hattiesburg?

I can't tell you the angst this new prospect brings up in me. I don't want Brett Favre to come back. (I KNOW, right?)!!! I mean, I would love to see Brett Favre play football, but I can't bear what his return would do to my heart. He just broke my heart in March. Now he's going to mend it because he's going to miss the game? No. He's not going to fill the empty place he left when he announced his retirement. If he comes back, he's going to fill me with anger and resentment for letting me believe that he was gone, only to wave his hand and yell, "Psych!" I would question his character a little if he was that willing to push us onto that roller coaster. He can't wipe us out emotionally by retiring, then come back and ask us to click-clack our way up to the peak of the tracks again for another 100 foot drop and loopity-loop. I can't get on that ride again. I'll be so disappointed if he tricked us like that.

It's not just the the issue of how us fans will feel if he comes back. I don't want him to come back and be just okay. I don't want him to be a second string quarterback. I don't want him to get hurt on the field and have to leave the game under those circumstances. I don't want him to become a wannabe. And most of all, I don't want to see Brett Favre in colors that are not Packer's. If Favre plays for another team, that will be the biggest slap in the face I could imagine.

I understand that it is anyone's right to change his/her mind. I could possibly forgive the hurried or unclear decision he made back in March after a grueling season that ended in great disappointment. I understand the dynamics of all that is going on here. I really do. There's such a multi-layered set of circumstances to be picked through and mulled over. I have to tell you though, it's killing me.

Perhaps the most unsettling part of this equation is the team leaders of this great quarterback's glory. I'll go so far as to narrow it down to just Ted Thompson since his thin veil of support for Favre is so sheer that he may as well be naked. Ted Thompson wanted Brett Favre gone years ago. Yes, I believe this. Thompson has been biding the time to see Brett leave. There's reports about Favre "needing to be needed." There's rumors of behind-the-scenes discussions where Ted slaps Brett on the back and chortles with him about both their tenures at Lombardi Avenue. Blah, blah, blah! [Fictional scenario there]! Ted has done a poor job of welcoming the man who brought national attention back on the Packers. Maybe Ted doesn't care about the far-reaching popularity of the Packers because the local fans support them just dandy. What Ted fails to realize is that he is dissing the man that so many fans have come to love like he is part of their families. Brett Favre is everyman. Brett Favre is down-to-earth, lovable, human, tragic, fun, exciting. Brett Favre is the epitome of good football. Shame on Ted for contributing to this mess in such a large way.

If it's true that Favre wants to return to the National Football League, then it's up to Ted Thompson to make one of three decisions: 1) "Welcome" Brett back to the Packers. 2) Trade Brett. 3) Release Brett.

That's not a pretty equation no matter how you add it up! There's a 12 million dollar differential to contend with if Brett comes back. The Packers have spent that salary cap money. They've also been grooming the Big Mouth Rodgers (who is not making any strides on winning fans over to his camp with his cocky comments). Given Rodgers egotistical attitude, I think I'd like Brett Favre at the helm again, thank you. I do hope that if the Packers turn Brett down (which seems to be what has happened), that Brett Favre has the sense (and I do believe he does) to stay retired and let this rumor die.

This whole situation makes my stomach queasy. Leave it to Brett Favre to spice it up! I love the man, but I have some sincere reservations about his return to football. I guess what it comes down to is that I will feel like he was playing with my emotions when he retired. I'm sticking to my gut instinct. Yep, I'm going out on a limb against what every other sports reporter seems to know already, and saying Brett Favre isn't taking any snaps this year. Know why I say that? I say that because Brett Favre is a stand-up guy and he's gonna stick to his guns. (Gunslingers do that). If I'm wrong, Brett Favre isn't the man I thought he was.

5 comments:

dj said...

Hey ya Suz! I have to agree I don't think I could take having Brett come back--its been like an emotional roller coaster!!! I love him, but its time for him to become a very fond memory now!!! If the packers could have won the super bowl last year..it would have been a fitting end, but he did end his career on a high note and that's just where he should leave it.

Oh Man if he ever played on another team I would throw up. :P

I haven't really been following what has been going on, but I can understand him though still working out and tossing the football. I imagine that when something has been your "life" for so long, you can't just give it up. I wonder what he will end up doing? He can't just sit around on his farm...

M said...

Good morning shweetie!

Great post. Your theory jibes with my husband's (did we ever figure out what dh meant? ok, dh)--Thompson maneuvered for Favre's exit from the moment he took over. Because it would never be Ted's team-- it would always be Brett's team, with the players deferring to him-- so long as Favre was around. And so, the weak shows of support and refusal to stock the team to Favre's strengths, resulting in his eventual self-ouster.

Favre's talent and character will never be seen again, and it would be ridiculous for fans to hope for anything but a good-enough replacement. Still, it would have been nice to have his successor not start to look like an asshat before he even takes the field as #1.

HOW 'BOUT THEM BREWERS? :-D

Thanks for the hospitality the other night, truly enjoyed it! You're an enjoyable person to be around!

-Mary

Jenny said...

I agree with dj! If Brett played for another team, I would throw up too! It would feel like betrayel.

Even though I love him, I hope he just stays retired.

Osh said...

dh=dear or damn husband

and I agree...I dated a guy for years like Brett...I never knew if he was going to quit me each season, and then he finally did and then right before I married my damn husband he came back and wanted me again.

ARGHHHHHHHHH

shakenbsis said...

HI Suz!

I'm not a REAL Packer fan, so I probably have no right to an oponion, but even I would be dissapointed if Brett came back after his retirement or went to another team... just my 2 cents!