Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Question For the Masses

Or, the five of you who read my blog! :p

It's acutely obvious that the new job is not panning out as well as I'd hoped. I've given a whole lot of thought to the situation as it stands before me. Meander through my thoughts for a moment, if you will.

The best parts of the new job:

It will most certainly get better.
I've already got the highly sought-after Friday night shift. (Next week)!
Last night was better than Monday and Tuesday, though still not up to my minimum needed green.
The atmosphere jives with what I know and can thrive in.

The worst parts of the new job:

The extra miles on a stoplight laden avenue. (I have to leave early, and withstand the traffic annoyance).
Everyone is in by 4:30 and nobody leaves until at least 9:00, no matter how slow it is.
It's not gonna pay my bills right now, which is not a luxury I can enjoy.
There's certain to be early weekend shifts. (Bah! No 5:30am alarm for me)!!

My dilemma then, is how to create a schedule that nets me the best of corporate with the best of the new place? I need to get specific with both of my schedulers, without alienating either of them. There's always a 'favorite' factor when they sit down to jot out a schedule. I'm treading thin ice here to make sure I don't get shafted on one or both of the schedules.

Fluffers is in need of servers. Her staff is down one for a life-threatening injury, and another one in a week and a half for a move out of town. Theoretically, anything I can help her with is a boon to her. Realistically, she may relegate me to cruddy shifts if I protest the already cruddy shifts I don't want to work. Then there's the corporate scheduling. There's an abundance of servers right now, so he doesn't need to give me anything if he doesn't want to. He did follow my suggestion for this week's schedule, but gave me a cruddy opening shift for my one night request. Are you starting to see the thin line?

What I think I need to do is give each one of them a block of the week that I can work for each of them. The conflict in that is having a day off. If I tell corporate I can work Mon-Wed and Fluffers that I can work Thur-Sun, you know I won't have any nights off. Do I delegate my own day off and give them my availability according to that? Will they both be peeved and give me two nights out of the nights I'm available to them? Is there an easy answer to any of this? Can anybody offer a sage word of advice?

8 comments:

Jenny said...

What if you told Fluffers you were available Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays and Corporate you were available Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays and then you guarantee that you'll always have off Friday? Or tell both your available 6 days out of the week, but Corporate your only available 10am - 4pm and Fluffers your only available 5pm-10pm. So you'll still be guaranteed 1 day off every week and the schedules will never cross. Although you may have to pull a couple double shifts...

dj said...

Hi Suz: I think you and Jenny have the right idea. Telling each place you can't work one day might be good. Then you are guaranteed one day off for sure. Also, that is one day of not having to use gas to drive to Madison.

That's great that you got the Friday Night shift!

Jenny said...

But now she can't come to Kurths :(

M said...

I agree with Jenny & dj. You set the table.

The alternative has already been proven to not work to your advantage. You've given corporate every opportunity to be sensible; sensibility is not part of their microcorporate plan. If you tell them what you are available for, then they may give you a crap shift-- which is no different than what they are likely to give you if you say nothing at all.

Fluffers & co... well, it can't get worse! You'll know with more certainty what to do there in a few weeks. It could be better, it could be much better, it could be meh. One month probation for them won't hurt anything. The gas $$ and time is the price to find out, but in terms of a decision to be made soon, it's not a prohibitive price.

And the third decision is to keep looking for the ultimate honey. Like maybe corporate is the old steady you're finally about to be able to break from, the place past all the stoplights is that cute boy you always wanted to date who ends up being a slobbery kisser with yellow toenails, and the next guy around the corner is the One.

One thing is certain-- smart, sensible, motivated, hardworking people just don't end up at the bottom of the dungheap indefinitely. I've known you for only a brief time, but I KNOW you are too good to be kept in this situation forever.

-Mary

Suz said...

Thank you, ladies. I am going to tell Fluffers three days is all she gets. Corporate gets three days and I get one day off a week. That should do it. :)

Incidentally, we were rockin' all night long at corporate tonight. Good night!! Plus, I won a Father's Day contest and got an autographed Packer football as my prize! Woot! (I'm giving it to my winter hero who took me to the last game of Brett Favre's career)!!

Looking forward to some gal pal time tomorrow!! YAY!

Osh said...

I have no advice!
See you on Friday!

shakenbsis said...

I have no good advice either (makes my head spin) But I sure loved reading Jenny, dj and Mary's advice!! You are way too good for this! (loved your analogy Mary!)

right around the corner...

shakenbsis said...

Thinking about you today Suz! Sure hope you got a nap in between shifts...