Thursday, June 26, 2008

Centipede in a House


Yesterday a centipede came zigzagging its way across my wall by my computer. These things freak me out! The only bug worse than a centipede is a hairy spider. But apparently, the wet weather has even the moisture-loving creepies moving upward. It takes everything out of me to remove these things from my home. I'm so scared of them, in fact, that I whined to my landlord about them. He brought me some spray that he thought would take care of the issue.

When this thing appeared, I ran for the new and improved spray from the landlord. I climbed up on my desk chair, got stable, aimed, and sprayed. It ran faster. I sprayed furiously. It finally dropped onto the radiator, but ran off of it into the corner and fell onto the carpet where I couldn't see it since I would have had to crawl under my desk to view it. I stood on the chair, shaking and cussing the bad luck. What was I gonna do now?

Before I could figure out an answer, it came screaming out of the corner toward my chair like a bat out of hell. I sprayed it some more. It finally stopped moving next to my chair. I crept gingerly out of my chair, away from the creature and went to the kitchen to get another spray. I just didn't trust that this thing was dead. After a good dousing with one of my own killer sprays, I went in search of something to scoop up the body. I peered into cupboards with my mind reeling. A cookie sheet? A spatula and a big tall see-through glass? A bowl? A magazine card and an ashtray?

Standing at the kitchen table with a spoon and small plate, still twitching from the fear of it all, I looked over to the spot of the death. The centipede was GONE!!! OMG!! Where did it go?? It was racing toward the couch. I actually had to move the couch so it couldn't get under there and completely keep me off of my luxury sofa for another month. I got the Windex and sprayed it with that. I got the cheapo spray I got from the Dollar Store and sprayed it with that. I sprayed it again with the stuff from the landlord. I stood above the monster and watched to see if it was twitching, or breathing, or plotting its next escape. Holy shit.

Finally, I decided that I wanted to know if it was really dead. I got a deli container with a lid. After about four tries, I got the body shoved into the container with the lid. I secured the lid and carried it away from my body to the garbage area. I gingerly set it on the floor where it couldn't scare me every time I walked into the kitchen. After awhile, I got to thinking that I really wouldn't know if it had moved without marking the spot on the container where it currently resided. Picking it back up carefully, I took a marker and put a line on either side of the giant bug thing. Having done that, I thought it looked pretty plain so I drew it its very own little house, complete with a chimney (but no smoke coming out of it). I think the fumes of the combined sprays along with the heat of the day yesterday had me a little woozy.

I think I'll keep the little house container and use it as a cemetery for the others who think they want to live here. Maybe I should put up a warning sign for them too.

Beware of Owner with Multiple Spray Bottles

Please don't let anymore of those scary things invade my living room. ACK!

9 comments:

Rod said...

WOW - I feel worn out. Have you tried LIGHTING hairspray on it as you are spraying?

Jenny said...

Oh my god! I totally know how you feel! When Josh and I lived up north there was this narly hairy centipede on the wall in the living room and I immediately called Josh at work to come home and kill it. As I waited, I shined a flashlight on it so I didn't loose track of where it went. I was soooo scared. I hate those things they move so fast!!!

Kathy said...

ROFLMAO! You are a lot like ME when it comes to those things, and we have them now, also!

Yikes!

dj said...

Suz I can still visualize you telling the story last night and I'm just laughing so hard!! But I KNOW I hate those things too...spiders are really bad for me too. They really freak me out. I remember I killed a fat gray spider once and it exploded!! Just ask Jenny! LOL

I love your little "house." Clearly the little buggers have met their match!

Osh said...

I'm sorry, I couldn't read past hairy spider.

Love the picture though.

Looks like something Evan and I would make.

Further proof why we are all so awesome!

Jenny said...

I miss my Suz :(

Kathy said...

I forgot to mention how I love that marked it with a marker to see if it moved! You are hilariously brilliant!

And damn the MM!

shakenbsis said...

HOW DID I MISS THIS!?!?!?!!?
OMG, I got the creepy crawlies all over agian!! ewww...

You are sooo stinkin' hilarious!

Suz said...

I killed another one in the kitchen when I got home from work last night. Ugh. Now I walk through my house with a searchlight shining the way to make sure I don't run into one unexpectedly. :p

I heard Kathy just kills 'em with a Kleenex. o_O