Friday, June 06, 2008

Roller Coaster Ride

I had an interview yesterday for what appeared to be a job I could really dig. It still could be.

I showed up exactly on time for my interview amidst stormy weather, wearing a pair of smart looking slacks and a nice white sleeveless shirt. I had a resume in hand because I always think it shows your attention to detail after sending one electronically. The interviewers have always already printed it off, but I think they like that I thought of bringing another. At least, that's what I tell myself.

I met the Food & Beverage Director who got me a cup of coffee and said we'd sit at the corner pub table to talk. Then she said she wanted to get her executive chef to take part in the interview. That was very different.

We did the usual interview with the questions about my experience. We ran the scenario questions ("What would you do if two of your servers were going at it during a busy dinner service on a Friday night?"), and we chatted about the job description. The only unusual thing about this interview was having the chef driving the conversation. It got me to thinking about why he would have such a large part in deciding this position. After some thought, I have to think that between them they decided that the person who manages banquets has to understand the importance the kitchen (who MAKES the food) has in making an event successful.

I have to say, I think I was doing well with the chef. When we got to the end of the interview, and the "Do you have any questions for us?" section of the exam came up, I asked what we were talking about for 'salary' as listed in their ad. They couldn't give me an answer! What? I got a vague reply about it depending on the candidate. Understand, this is a position they have not had a need for in the past, so it is a new job. While I understand the new growth of a young golf course that is trying to expand, I also do not understand how they couldn't have a salary range in mind or why they would not be willing to share that information with the candidate. Not good.

And so the interview ended. I was the first person to come in, so I have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to find out my score. In typical 'rain or shine' fashion, in the interim between my call for an interview and the actual interview, I got another call from a friend who works at a restaurant that I've wanted to work at for a long time now. I got the shoe-in hire by his word on my reputation. Well, well...what to do?

Here's what I did. Based on advice from my best friend, I went in to talk to Fluffy without mentioning the other possible gig. Yeah, that's what they call hiring manager. (Anybody local know the restaurant? Don't name it if you do. I like the anonymous factor when I talk about my job on my blog). Fluffy told me that she could give me like three shifts a week for now, but that it would be more in the fall when the college kids take off again. And that is when the real big bucks get laid down there.

I'm penciled in for training on Tuesday and Wednesday. Oh boy. I am mulling the two options before me. Much will depend on the call I get from the golf course on Monday or Tuesday. I will be needing a salary figure when that call comes in if I'm the winning candidate. In essence, I have three days to sit and stew over these options, then I will have to be quick on my feet to make a split-second decision. I drift to one, then the other as the favorite, but truthfully, neither feels exactly right. I try to comfort myself with the knowledge that changing jobs is never easy. I know the ins and outs of each position; it's the unknown factors of the assistant job that make me indecisive.

In time, this will play out how it's going to play out. I think the restaurant job will pay better than where I'm at now, so it's probably something I need to give a chance. It's difficult because I'd still have to stay where I'm at a few nights a week until I work my way up the ladder of the new restaurant. It's all quite daunting. Stay tuned to find out where I am next week!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

So, you will be working for someone named Fluffy? Curious name, huh?

At worst-case, you will be making more money than you are now, right? Cuz you will have two jobs. I hope dipstick at your current employer schedules around your new job.

Ein Prozit! We'll celebrate tonight!

shakenbsis said...

is Fluffy a cat???? = )