Monday, June 23, 2008

Settling

When I started my new job last week, it felt a little like settling, yet again! After a week of serving under my belt, it feels more like I'm settling into a routine that could be pretty good. It's not like it was a fantastic week with tons of money being made, but taking into account that this is the slowest time of the year, this could be a nice gig.

When we last saw our heroine, she was struggling with the low paying nights and figuring out how to approach the scheduling masters she has to appease. An awkward ten minute chat with Fluffers netted an acquiescence by your normally intimidating serving hero. See, Fluffers has the dilemma of being down three servers so there are major gaps in the schedule. She needs the mighty Suz to fill in and kick ass, take names, sling hash to the customers. I have an idea for that schedule. Quit overstaffing and let us make some money!

Saturday night was slow, but it still made for a decent night. I got to meet my nemesis. I thought she was going to be cool. She's not. She's defensive and likes to point out the obvious while not actually doing those things she expects you to do. I have struggled with what to name her. In trying to describe her, I told one friend this: "You know how they say someone looks like 40 miles of bad highway? Well, she looks like 60 miles of bad highway." Then, while telling my friend who got me into this job about her over a cigarette out back, he said this: "She runs into people all the time and then tells them they need to watch where they're going. She's okay though. You'll get used to her."

I don't want to get used to her.

"She comes off bitchy, but she's really not." Pause. "She is skanky though," he said, wrinkling up his nose. That's the word!! She is skanky! For now, I'm going to skip my stories of woe with her. I'll monitor her attitude and record every transgression for a later blog. Let's just say, she had me shaking with anger, and she will not be forgiven easily. My buddy confirmed that she is a bad server. She's been there for years, and still has never been moved over to the front dining room. Girls who started in December are already promoted to the front dining room. Remember this information about Skanky when I talk about her again.

Sunday brought a carnival of fun. I was scheduled for my final training shift to learn the breakfast routine, which, by the way, is HUGE on Sundays. I woke up before my alarm. Amazing. I arrived to work on time, thanks in large part to the joyful surprise of finding most of the stoplights blinking yellow in the early Sunday a.m. I made exactly one stop in over four miles of avenue traffic lights. I was in a good mood about that when I arrived five minutes early.

The boss (the owner) greeted me after I'd punched in. I told him not to take it personally if I wasn't chatty, as I am not much of a morning person. He gave me a hearty, "Get some coffee!" with a cheerful note in his voice. A few minutes later he told me I might have to take a few tables. I thought that was cool, since I can make more money actually waiting on people than I can following someone on a training wage. That 'take a few tables' turned into 'here's your section, I'll try not to slam you.' Whee.

By 9:30 am we were starting to fill up. Before I could blink, it was lunch time. I hit a few snags, but overall the morning went okay. There were some very good things happening yesterday. My last table (which is always so important because it is your lasting impression of your shift) was a pair of friends--older women who had Bloody Mary's, coffee and the 2-egg breakfast combo. Each had a bill of about $10 or $12 bucks. I netted an $8 tip. That is a happy ending to a hectic morning shift. Staying to be an actual server and not a trainee meant I'd just stay through the day for my second shift instead of going home between shifts as I had planned. That saves $8 in gas. Perhaps the best thing that happened yesterday was something that has a bigger better chance at netting me a lasting income. The boss bartends on Sundays. I had some drinking tables yesterday morning so I kept him working. Everyone knows that a happy boss is a boss who sees his employees making him money. Drinks are money-makers in the foodservice industry. And, we were a bit understaffed since I was just a trainee and became a weak link. But the boss didn't think so. And one of the gals who likes me told me just what the boss was saying. Apparently, he was impressed with me. He told people, "She's never even worked a breakfast and she's getting killed--and keeping up!" He likes my pace. He likes my style. Very cool.

And so we go. Change is so difficult. I am adjusting to the place on the avenue so well that I think I could actually get up early every Sunday to live to tell the tale of the $100 breakfast shift. The new schedule comes out Wednesday. I got the distinct feeling from Fluffers last night that I am getting preferential treatment. We'll see if my 10-minute awkward conversation left an impression on her. I'm hoping good work ethic nets good work nights. I have a feeling it will. Especially if the boss looks over her shoulder while she puts the pencil to paper.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

When we were talking about YOU the other day I was not really paying attention but for some reason focused at an odd point in the conversation.

I listened intently for a few minutes and then said "Suz's nickname is FLUFFERS? She does not strike me as a fluffer."

I was corrected between laughter at my expense . . . again.

dj said...

Aww Suz!! There was never a doubt in my mind that they would be impressed with you. Way to go!!! :)

shakenbsis said...

LMAO!!!!!! (Roaring laughter it was, I was a part of that conversation!!!) Rod is tooo funny!

WOOO Hoooo SUZ!!!!! Yippeeeeee! this is me doing my happy dance for Team Suz!!!

PS: left a comment for YOU over at Rod's *hangs head*

Jenny said...

Go Suz!!!! Woo Hoo.

I don't like the skanky lady, and I don't even know her.... but I don't like her!

Movie Star Wife said...

Way to go Suz!

I have a sister Sue and when I was little I spelled her name SUZ! I thought I was writing Susie.

I hope your week continues to go well.

M said...

Team Suz! Team Suz!

Yeah, being fairly unrecognized and unrewarded-- I figured THAT wasn't gonna last long! Here's to the new boss, not the same as the old boss...

You're just an impressive person. That's all there is to it.

And yeah shakes, I stifled giggles every time I read "Fluffers" until I read Rod's comment and totally lost it.

-Mary

Suz said...

LOL! So you don't read my blog, Rod. Fluffers I am not. It's easy to remember. SUZ is my nickname. ;) Thanks for letting me in on the laughter.

Thanks one and all. I actually feel like I've turned a corner. YAY! Here's hoping!!

Kathy said...

Woo Hooo!! Impressing the boss, you little suck-up?! Good job, you had to know your time would come, right?

OMG I cannot fathom even THINKING of calling you Fluffers! That was a great gut-buster!

Enjoy the ride...! Congrats!